Monday, October 4, 2010

"One Thing I Can Guarantee . . .

you is that you will be sick at least a couple times on the TBB trip." Those words, spoken by Mr. Stakich in June, during my TBB application interview, now reverberate in my head like a rubber ball bouncing on the sidewalk.

Wow! The last 24 hours have been an adventure - and to think I actually thought I had an ironclad stomach.

Yesterday morning I woke up feeling pretty sick, but I decided to press on. The pains would surely subside and we had activities planned. Cleaning the beach and helping children paint a town mural were at the top of the list. My inconveniences could certainly wait. Wrong. Bad idea!   

After a short walk to the beach soon I quickly became violently ill. Let's just say the beach was much cleaner before I arrived. I was taken back to the hostel where I spent the day with three of my friends, who also weren't quite in game shape. Unfortunately, my condition only got worse throughout the day. Nothing would stay down in me. I was leaking oil out both ends, as my dad would say. By early evening, things had progressed to the point where the TBB counselors thought a tour of the local hospital was in order. I begged relentlessly to fight it out at the hostel, but my actions were speaking louder than my words.

Having never been to an Emergency room as a patient, let alone an Emergency Room in Ecuador, I was more than a little nervous to go on this particular field trip. At the hospital Lorena explained my symptoms to the admissions staff and I was immediately taken to a large room with a few hospital beds and more swarming bugs than I care to remember. The kind nurses, however, made me feel as comfortable as I could, gave me an IV and took blood samples. After an hour of making friends with the bugs, who thought my blood tasted just fine, thank you, I was told that I had a bacteria in my blood and was prescribed with antibiotics (Ciprofloxacino, Buscapina Compositum and Enterogermina).

I must say that although the experience was frightening, the efficiency of what looked to be a very rudimentary hospital was impresseive and the people very kind. Needless to say, I am most thankful to all that helped me.

The good news is that I am feeling much better today. The TBB group heads back to Los Narajos to continue our work and our stay with host families. I hope to join them.  

I will have internet again in a few weeks and look forward to giving you updates on my continuing adventures.

So long for now!

maddie p 

2 comments:

  1. Maddie!!! Sorry to hear about your ER tour in Ecuador. I am sure you received good care. I am sure you were a much more compliant patient than your 84 year old grandfather, who recently spent time in the ER and hospital. Take care of yourself. We will be sending letters and possibly some pre-packaged food so you can avoid further food illnesses! Happy to hear you are on your way to full recovery. The Haleys

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maddie! I saw this link on FB ! This is soo cool! and ER?!! I hope your okay! I realized this is sooo you though :P You're always a pain fighter! I hope you are 100% soon and I am excited to read your exciting life as I take a break from my long homework nights! I'm sure you miss that! I miss you a ton though! Je t'aime!
    <3 Nanoha

    ReplyDelete