Saturday, October 16, 2010

A Day In The Life Of Maddie

Hi friends,

As I write this blog I am sitting on the concrete floor of my host family's ... well let's just call it their living room. I pause because the beauty of the design is that it is multifunctional - the room also serves as Lise's and Gloria's bedroom.  

The girls have come to watch me type - they are staring at the computer screen as though it is an alien. I told them they haven't seen a real alien, until the see my Dad! I wish I had a way to explain the concept of a computer, but instead I will just play music as I type and hope they enjoy observing this convenience of the modern world, which certainly Los Naranjos is not.

Is it weird to write, but indeed not much has happened here. So much occurs here in the span of day, yet it has become almost routine for me. The roosters and our host family's radio wakes me at 5:00am each morning. I do my best to ignore the cacophony until 7:00am when my host sisters scream, "Hora de comer!"  


On the breakfast table the food is neatly prepared. The meal ranges from carrots and a plantain to a piece of bread with jam, lettuce, and tomato. After eating I leave for work to plant a billion plants (you think I exaggerate?) as we trek through the rain forest for the next five hours. Around 1:00pm I walk home exhausted, make a trip to the river for a shower. After cleaning up I eat lunch and relax before attending the afternoon seminar.
After class I return home and enjoy time with my sisters before dinner. When dinner is complete it is craft time with our host mom, writing in my journal, and finally, thankfully bed! 

Certainly there is some variation day to day - whether that be a futbol game (I have skills(!) or a nature walk. Regardless of the slight variation each day concludes with complete exhaustion no later than 8:30pm

I'm finally making up all my lost sleep time from high school.

I've posted a few photos so you get a better feel for my life in Los Naranjos! I've really enjoyed my time in the Tsa'Chila community. It is definitely a different, simpler way of life, but one I appreciate. The people, the beautiful people are the highlight. Their kindness and generosity is overwhelming. 

That's all I have for now. Next time I talk to you all I will be making my way to Peru and up the Inca Trail!

Love,
maddie p 



A Look At My Day!
                                                       
A shower to begin the day.



  
Preparing food.
              
A Typical Meal


My friends in the village. No Mom, I can't get you one of the skirts.

Heading off to work.


Alejandro (the cultural chief) in the jungle - my office!







1 comment:

  1. So great to read your blog and that you are healthy again. We're so proud of you and hope all goes well the rest of your travels.Love ya ,the Bulls. ps did you know that we still have Oakley?!!

    ReplyDelete